The turkey crown option is in effect a whole turkey with the wings left on but with the legs removed. This option is perfect for people who prefer to just have breast meat but still like to hand carve the meat off the bone.
Our Barn Reared Turkeys enjoy the freedom of large open barns, with plenty of fresh air and a wholesome diet of cereals plus whole and natural crushed oats from neighbouring farmers. From our generations of experience, we understand that oats are fantastic natural feed for poultry, offering high health benefits to the flock with their slow burn fats ensuring the highest quality meat and famous creamy taste synonymous with our Barn Reared Turkeys.
Adlington is proud of the standard of care all our turkeys receive, including three times the amount of barn space per turkey decreed by the EEC and a bed of soft, deep litter barley and oat straw that is refreshed every day. All our barn reared turkeys naturally have constant access to fresh water and food.
Our fastidious feeding regime, combined with game hanging in strictly controlled conditions for 12 days truly ensures a simply delicious soft texture and superb taste.
Cooking guidelines for your Adlington Christmas Turkey
- Allow your turkey to settle at room temperature for approximately 2 hours
- Pre heat your oven to 180ºC/355ºF (or 160ºC for a fan assisted oven)
- Place the turkey in a large roasting tin upside down. This allows the juices to run into the breast of the turkey, keeping it moist. There is no need to cover it with foil.
- Roast the turkey for:
3kg – 105 minutes
4kg – 120 minutes
5kg – 135 minutes
6kg – 150 minutes
7kg – 165 minutes
8kg – 180 minutes
9kg – 195 minutes
- Half an hour before the end, turn the turkey over to allow the breast skin to brown and add more salt and pepper
- Check the turkey every 10 minutes until it reaches 75ºC or until the thigh juices run clear
- Once cooked, allow the turkey to rest for 15 to 60 minutes
- Whilst it is resting, pour the juices into a saucepan and allow to cool. Skim the fat off the top and when ready to eat, simply reheat it and stir in 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken, if required, for a delicious gravy
Please note that these are guidelines only and you should refer to your oven manual and make sure that the turkey reaches 75ºC before eating.
Click to download these instructions